By Maddie Ogden
Open houses and house showings can be overwhelming, especially for first-time buyers. It is the first opportunity for you to see your potential new home. While these events are exciting, it is also the perfect time for you to ask important questions about the house.
You may be wondering, what sort of questions should I be asking? That is exactly what we are here for! Here are some questions you should ask both before and during an open house.
Questions to ask before the Open House or Showing
- How long has the house been on the market?
- Have there been any price reductions?
- Is it vacant? If so, how long has it been vacant?
Go over the following questions with your chosen real estate agent since they can be indicators of how desirable the property is.
- Why are the owners selling?
- Have there been any offers?
- When does the seller want to move?
Questions about the sellers expectations are also important to go over with your chosen real estate agent before an open house or showing. The answers to these questions hint at what the negotiation process will be like and how quickly the seller wants to close.
Questions to Ask During the Open House or Showing
- What are the house’s biggest problems?
- Has the house been tested for mold, radon, lead, and/or asbestos?
- When was the last time the roof was replaced?
- Is the house in a flood zone?
- How much do the utilities cost?
If you are seriously interested in purchasing the property, here is additional information about the community you may want to know. The answers to these questions will help finalize your decision to make an offer.
- What is the neighborhood like?
- What’s within walking and driving distance?
- Is there a Homeowner’s Association?
- What is the crime rate in the neighborhood?
- Where can I get information on the local schools?
Knowing information about the neighborhood is just as important as knowing information about the house. If you don’t like the neighborhood the house is in, then chances are you will not be satisfied with the house.
Questions to Ask Yourself Before Making Your Offer
- Will my furniture fit here?
- What’s the cell signal like?
- What updates would I make, if any?
- Can I picture this house becoming my home?
Open houses and showings are an excellent way to gather information about a particular home that has caught your interest. Ultimately, you are the only one who can decide whether a house is right for you, or not. We are here to help you find a home that is a perfect match for you!