A classic choice for stormy summer days is to head for the theater. A cool drink, a tub of popcorn, and a ticket to somewhere else for a couple of hours can really beat the heat or the bad-weather blahs. The Columbus area boasts a fine selection of movie venues, some with special programming for summer, others have special days for families throughout the month.
Some Columbus movie theaters are offering special pricing for family movies this summer, please check on individual websites for special offers that appear weekly and monthly.
AMC has theaters in Dublin, Easton, Clintonville, and Grove City.
- Sensory Friendly Films are offered in response to a request to an AMC branch several years ago. The house lights stay on and low, the sound is lower, and audience members are allowed and encouraged to move and vocalize as they prefer. A chance to see a movie in an accepting and welcoming environment, AMC is proud to serve patrons and families living on the autism spectrum.
Marcus Crosswoods Cinemas
200 Hutchinson Avenue
Columbus, OH 43235
Located between Westerville and Worthington, this northern theater is close to a variety of restaurants and is a favorite for both families and movie buffs alike. They are now offering a membership, which allows you to see unlimited movies for a year. The price is steep, at $75, but it pays for itself if you’re a movie fan. See Marcus Crosswoods for details. The website contains too many specials and events to mention here, including discounts for seniors, families, active duty military, $5 Tuesdays, and dinner-and-a-movie deals with local eateries!
Cinemark is a second-run movie theater with discounted ticket prices all year round. Often known as the “Dollar Theater” by local enthusiasts, there is a location in Gahanna and in Columbus near Dublin and Worthington.
- Weekly email newsletter with a concessions coupon Present the email coupon on your phone to be scanned, or print out the coupon on paper.
- Downloadable app gives you coupons on your phone.
- Seniors Day Discounted movies for patrons 62 and over on Mondays.
- Discount Tue$day Discounted movie tickets every tuesday for regular run movies. (Columbus only)
175 W Nationwide Blvd
Columbus, OH 43215
A downtown full-service theater with in-theater dining, this is a great place to get away and see a movie! Perfect for date night as well. Parking starts at only $1 in the Marconi Parking Garage.
2254 E Main Street
Columbus, OH 43209
An historic old fashioned theater that was rescued and is now run by a non-profit, the Drexel is a jewel in Bexley, showing first-run and art films year round, and is a favorite of Columbus natives.
Gateway Film Center
1550 North High Street
Columbus, OH 43201
A mixed art/independent/commercial film theater with bistro, a great special occasion destination for families, and a magnet for film buffs all over the capital city.
Studio 35 Cinema and Drafthouse
3055 Indianola Avenue
Columbus, OH 43202
This locally owned independent theater is located in historic Clintonville, and offers a single screen, with dining and full service bar, including draft beer and draft root beer. Generations of Clintonville residents have seen summer movies here, and the recent renovations make the experience comfortable and fun. Early movies are fun for families, and later movies are perfect for movie buffs and couples. Depending on times, parking is on the street and may require quarters for the meters.
(Rocky Horror Picture Show devotees will be thrilled to know it plays here once a month!)